A wrongful-death lawsuit claims Commanders players Benjamin St-Juste and Jamin Davis, along with former player Deshazor Everett, were racing their cars the night Everett’s longtime girlfriend, Olivia Peters, was killed in a car crash.

Peters’s mother, Kathleen Peters, filed the lawsuit in Loudoun County Circuit Court on Dec. 22, seeking $25 million in damages and a jury trial. The suit alleges the defendants “came together and conspired and planned to engage in unlawful and criminal behavior” and that “Everett’s actions in speeding and driving recklessly in furtherance of the conspiracy were a direct and proximate cause” of Peters’s injuries and death.

Peters died Dec. 23, 2021, after riding in a 2010 Nissan GT-R that Everett was driving in Loudoun County. Everett swerved, hit multiple trees and rolled. He was ejected from the car, and Peters was trapped inside. She was removed from the vehicle and transported to StoneSprings Hospital Center, where she was pronounced dead from internal bleeding. Everett suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The Commanders and the NFL declined to comment on the lawsuit, as did Mark Dycio and Kaveh Noorishad, attorneys for St-Juste, Davis and Everett.

The lawsuit alleges that Everett, St-Juste and Davis, who were all on Washington’s roster at the time, planned that evening “to ‘show off’ and race their cars on the public roads.” According to the lawsuit, Everett’s car was equipped with nitrous oxide, which can boost a car’s horsepower and is illegal in Virginia, along with racing tires and a roll cage. Davis drove a McLaren, and St-Juste drove a customized Audi A6.

The suit claims the three met at an auto shop in Loudoun County owned by fellow defendant Shahidul Islam, then went driving. Everett had a GoPro Camera attached to his car, recording the events. According to the suit, the defendants “drove at high rates of speed well in excess of the posted speed limits,” “changed lanes erratically and without signaling,” “crossed over double yellow lines and drove in the opposite lane of traffic” and “raced each other on multiple occasions.”

Deshazor Everett sentenced to 3 months house arrest after fatal car crash

The defendants exchanged text messages and had conversations on the phone and in person “concerning their illegal and reckless conduct, specifically racing,” according to the lawsuit. At one point in the evening, the lawsuit states, Everett said: “I told them it was fast, but they didn’t believe me. So, I was just trying to go out and show them.”

The Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office’s initial report found Everett had been driving more than 90 mph before the crash. But the Loudoun County crash reconstruction team, using evidence from the black box and witness accounts, later painted a different picture of the scene, according to Everett’s sentencing memo. St-Juste told police Everett had been traveling about 50 mph.

Everett was initially charged with involuntary manslaughter but pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of reckless driving and was sentenced to three months of house arrest. His license was also suspended, and he was ordered to pay a fine, perform community service and produce a public service announcement about safe driving.

Davis was charged with reckless driving (89 mph in a 65-mph zone) four days before the crash. The charge was reduced to an infraction. Three months after the crash, Davis was charged again with reckless driving, this time on allegations he was driving his McLaren 114 mph in a 45-mph zone. He was convicted and sentenced to 30 days of jail time, but he appealed and is awaiting another hearing, scheduled for March 4.

Source link

By admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *